Saturday, February 12, 2011

Cheaper by the Dozen


For those of you who have seen this movie and are questioning my morals and taste...suck it. I saw this movie in 6th grade and melted like a fangirl watching the Beatles perform for the first time. I'm a sucker for family comedies that involve Tom Welling, all one of them.


Cheaper By the Dozen follows the wacky antics of the Baker dozen, Tom (Steve Martin) and wife, Kate (Bonnie Hunt), and the wild adventures that occur in a family that doesn't practice birthcontrol.

As did most Jews, I saw this movie on Christmas Day. No one was in the theater so I was able to enjoy the film for all its worth. Even though each child in the Baker dozen had its own personality that contradicted with every other children, the on-screen chemistry the siblings was palpable. Tom Welling and Piper Perabo share responsibility and guidance for the immature gang, but Piper's limited on screen time gives Tom far more of an advantage. By far the most hidden gem in this film was Ashton Kutcher's role as Perabo's dick boyfriend. I'm not usually partial to his films, but Demi's husband/son/slave really made me laugh.

I enjoyed director Shawn Levy's film so much that I went home that night, researched the producers and director of the film, and sent each an email discussing how much I loved it. How adorable is that? A 6th grader emailing Hollywood power players his praise. To top it all off, Michael Barnathan emailed me back. I had no clue who he was before then, but I sure do now! And I'll top that one too! Shawn Levy went to the same summer camp that I went to for seven years. Hello Ice Breaker!

Cheaper by the Dozen made me laugh, thanks Steve Martin. It also made me thankful for the ample amount of free space I have in my home. Twelve brothers and sisters must be an awful experience. Forget about birthdays, how about dealing with the girls when it's their time of the month?

1 comment:

  1. I just saw this on your facebook and figured, "What the hell, I might as well read it. I'm not planning on doing my homework anyways". Enjoyed reading the posts so far. Got a chuckle from paragraph two.

    ReplyDelete